- About Us
- HR Solutions
- Secretarial Services
- Accounting / Taxation Services
- Corporate Services
FSSAI is an abbreviation used for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. FSSAI license is mandatory before starting any food business. All the manufacturers, traders, restaurants who are involved in food business must obtain a 14-digit registration or a license number which must be printed on food packages.
This step is taken by government to ensure that food products undergo certain quality checks, thereby reducing the instances of adulteration, substandard products and improve accountability of manufacturers. FSSAI Registration is done through HRWayOut.
Guidelines on FSSAI License Number
- The 14-digit number provides information about the manufacturer’s license or registration details and the manufacturing state.
- The Brand owner shall display the FSSAI logo and his license number on the label of food package.
- In case of imported food products, the importer shall display FSSAI logo and license number along with the name and address of importer on a sticker to be affixed before customs clearance.
Types of FSSAI License
Businesses engaged in food activities are required to apply for different type of food license based on turnover, scale of business and the type of activity. Such businesses must apply for either of the licenses (central or state) or simple registration. The criteria specified in rules are as follows:
FSSAI Basic registration
This is required for small business or startups which have annual turnover below Rs.12 lakhs. Basic registration can be upgraded to state license as your sales graph increases.
FSSAI State license
This license is applicable to mid-sized companies which have annual turnover between Rs.12-20 crores.
FSSAI Central license
This license is applicable typically on large business with annual turnover above Rs.20 crores. It is also required in cases where you need to supply at the government offices or import / export food products.
Steps for getting the FSSAI license
One can file the FSSAI application directly with the government. The process is long and requires 30-60 days to get completed:
- Step 1: Fill FSSAI form A on FSSAI website and make the payment for FSSAI application at the FBO nearby your locality.
- Step 2: Once the payment confirmation is reflected in your FSSAI account, you need to file Form B with the government. There are multiple declarations and resolutions that need to be filed with your application. E.g., board resolution, owner self-declaration. These declarations should ideally be prepared by a company secretary.
- Step 3: You will then need to follow-up with the government department for an update on your application. The government may send back your application for edits – if you fail to respond with 15 days of the application, then your application will be rejected.
- Step 4: The government department will take 45-60 working days to completely review your application and approve the same. Else, you can hire HRWayOut for getting the FSSAI license for you. We get license issued in 98% of our cases and save our customers from all the government hassles.